The rough turned maple bowl that I wanted to finish next had cracked. The crack was at an angle to vertical when the bowl was sitting normally. I cut out the section of the bowl with the crack on the band saw. Then I build a new segmented piece to take the place of the section. In this new section, I continue the idea of the chevron pattern, and add more detail. I give the chevron pattern branches by adding alternating pieces of birch and walnut wood on either side of the pattern. I also add a walnut ring at the top of the bowl so the segmented pattern has something to die into. Then I turn the whole bowl down to a finished piece.