I have wood turned a football. I had thought the project would just be about the shape, but I found that with the seams in the pigskin and stitching on the ball there was quite a bit of inlaid work to be done. This would make a nice opportunity for a wood turned segmented football. I made the body of the ball out of some cherry wood that I cut up years ago. The seams of the ball are padauk and the big stitches of the ball are holly wood that I got from a neighbor last spring. I built the main body of the ball from rings made from the cherry. Once the form of the ball was made, I use the CNC router to cut the inlay work in the ball and the parts themselves. Then I wood turned everything flush. I shaped the points at the ends of the ball on the disk sender and then with the hand sander. I finished the ball with walnut oil.